Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Alex Mayer MEP (East of England)
Salary: Dependent on experience (European Parliament Assistant Payscale Grade 5-7 dependant on experience)
Alex Mayer MEP is seeking a parliamentary assistant in her Brussels office.
The full-time position will be available from the 28th of August 2017.
• Take the lead on providing policy support to Alex on the Foreign Affairs committee.
• Maintain a very up to date knowledge of the Brexit negotiations and especially their impact on the East of England
• Draft blogs, briefings, articles, parliamentary questions and letters on a range of issues
• Have a keen interest in UK Labour politics
• Assist with communications and office administration including dealing with policy casework.
• Organise events and meetings. • Build an excellent relationship with the UK office
• Answer email and phone queries in a timely manner • Ensure proper financial and other administrative management is maintained
• Committed to the aims and values of the Labour Party
• Display good political judgement
• Educated to degree level or have least three years’ relevant professional experience in a full-time, paid position
• Possess the ability to work independently
• Excellent proven organisational and administrative skills
• Able to fit in with the demands of working in the European Parliament, to adapt to new areas of work, and willing to travel as and when required to Strasbourg and the UK
• Able to keep confidences, be reliable, conscientious and loyal
• Be willing to be flexible as part of a small team
• Recent experience of Labour politics
• Knowledge of French
• Knowledge of the East of England Region
• Campaigning experience
Length of Contract: Until the end of the parliamentary term, including 3 month probation period.